Thursday 18 May 2006

Helsinki is kinky?

JK: I paid hommage to Europe's Great White North by attending a conference in Helsinki (16 and 17 May).

The conference was good, but alas my time in this very interesting and unique city was short.

To save my not-for-profit employers some money -- a real feat in a rather expensive city -- I stayed in a "discount" hotel. It was an interesting introduction to Finnish traveller behaviour. The drunken fifty year old Finn stumbling through the hotel hall at 4pm should have tipped me off. The veritable sea of hungover fifty-somethings (well, OK, about six people) in the breakfast room the next morning was a beautiful sight to behold. Very surreal, very quiet. It was as if I was not there.

But booze aside, the city was different, eclectic and stylish (lots of ambitious new architecture that I am a sucker for). Click here for some pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment